Chicago - IL, IL150SW, 150 S Wacker Dr, 60606-4111
Jessie M. Golden
We believe that, when done right, investing liberates people to create their own destiny. We are driven by our purpose to champion every client’s goals with passion and integrity. We respect and appreciate the diversity of our employees, our clients, and the communities we serve. We challenge conventions strategically to create value for our clients, our firm and the world. We live and bring to life the concept of ‘own your tomorrow’ every day. We champion our employee strengths, guide their development, and invest in their long-term success. We hire optimistic, results-oriented, curious, innovative, and adaptable people with the desire to help our clients and one another succeed.
As a company, we were established by Chuck over 40 years ago to champion Main Street over Wall Street, and to help Americans transform themselves from earners to owners. Through advocacy and innovation, we work to make investing more affordable, accessible and understandable for all. As we enter our fifth decade, we are looking for talented, innovative and driven people who believe they can help themselves, and our clients, create a better future.
In this role you will: Manage multiple, simultaneous projects; Negotiate agreements on a daily basis; Participate in the diligence and review of intellectual property and technology-related agreements for divestitures of business units and acquisitions; Communicate with business partners and other internal stakeholders, including building consensus; Be responsible for the development and implementation of policies and procedures for the corporate contracting process that improve efficiencies between business partners, internal vendor management and Corporate Legal Services; and Manage, supervise and train contract negotiators, junior lawyers and paralegals including the development of job descriptions, playbooks and regular training.
What you’ll do:
- Provide legal advice to clients concerning licensing, technology, and transactional/commercial terms.
- Draft, review, and negotiate contracts involving a wide variety of subject matter (trademark and copyright licenses, professional services agreements, software license agreements, ASP agreements, cloud agreements, telecommunications agreements, advertising agreements, marketing agreements, content licenses, market data licenses, releases, sponsorship/service agreements, outsourcing agreements), and across business enterprises within Schwab, including leading the process for complex transactions that require input from a wide variety of stakeholders (e.g., information security, privacy, compliance, business, regulatory counsel, vendor management, etc.)
- Review of print and digital marketing, advertising from a trademark/copyright perspective and advice on copyright and third party contracts.
- Work closely with Enterprise Counsel, Corporate Vendor Management and Schwab’s multiple Risk Groups.
- Serve as an advisor to senior management on critical legal, business and regulatory issues, as well as counterparties on critical, sensitive issues such as deal terms, risk assessment and escalations, strategy, contracting and IP policy.
- Manage and train direct reports such as lawyer(s), contract negotiator(s), and/or legal staff.
What you have:
- 7+ years of significant licensing/ transactional experience;
- Exceptional academic credentials;
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills;
- Excellent people skills with the ability to build relationships;
- Solid ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks and projects while meeting tight deadlines;
- Understanding of how to balance legal risk with business objectives and successfully get deals closed;
- Ability to counsel senior management, including the ability to clearly and succinctly communicate risks on intellectual property matters, technology transactions and other commercial contracts;
- A proactive nature, team player, and "can do" attitude; ability to work within an established structure; and a sense of humor
- Illinois, California, or New York Bar admission required;
- Experience working in-house a plus;
- Trademark/Copyright experience is a plus
What you’ll get:
- Comprehensive Compensation and Benefits package
- Financial Health: 401k Match, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, Employee Discounts, Personalized advice, Brokerage discounts
- Work/Life Balance: Sabbatical, Paid Parental Leave, New Mothers returning to work Program, Tuition Reimbursement Programs, Time off to volunteer, Employee Matching Gifts Program
- Everyday Wellness: Health and Lifestyle Wellness Rewards, Onsite Fitness Classes, Healthy Food Choices, Wellness Champions
- Inclusion: Employee Resource Groups, Commitment to diversity, Strategic partnerships
- Not just a job, but a career, with an opportunity to do the best work of your life
Learn more about Life@Schwab.
Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversifying its workforce. It is Schwab's policy to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, legally protected medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, military status, citizenship status or any other status that is protected by law. Schwab also does not discriminate against applicants or employees because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. At Schwab, we believe that every employee, through their diverse abilities and experiences, can contribute to our growth, innovation and client loyalty. We embrace diversity and are committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees and applicants. If you have a disability, and require reasonable accommodations in the application process, call Human Resources at 800-725-3535. We will be happy to assist you. Schwab will only share your accommodation request with those individuals who have a specific need to know. The request for an accommodation will not affect Schwab's hiring decisions. All other submissions should be performed online.
||English - spoken
|Current Licenses / Certifications:
|Relevant Work Experience:
|Position Located In:
||IL - Chicago
Activation Date: Friday, April 13, 2018
Expiration Date: Friday, June 1, 2018