Austin - TX, AUS1, 2309 Gracy Farms Lane, 78758
Charles Ott Jones
We believe that, when done right, investing liberates people to create their own destiny. We are driven by our purpose to champion every client’s goals with passion and integrity. We respect and appreciate the diversity of our employees, our clients, and the communities we serve. We challenge conventions strategically to create value for our clients, our firm and the world. We live and bring to life the concept of ‘own your tomorrow’ every day. We champion our employee strengths, guide their development, and invest in their long-term success. We hire optimistic, results-oriented, curious, innovative, and adaptable people with the desire to help our clients and one another succeed.
As a company, we were established by Chuck over 40 years ago to champion Main Street over Wall Street, and to help Americans transform themselves from earners to owners. Through advocacy and innovation, we work to make investing more affordable, accessible and understandable for all. As we enter our fifth decade, we are looking for talented, innovative and driven people who believe they can help themselves, and our clients, create a better future.
Do you want to be part of a Big Data team driving cutting edge platform capabilities to service Schwab’s growing analytical and operational data needs? The Global Data Technology organization is a highly skilled and passionate team that explores new ways to leverage our data as a strategic asset. Through hands-on initiatives with our business partners we contribute to the company’s customer experience, revenue and profitability. We are looking for a Senior Manager who can help bring leadership and expertise to our rapidly growing Big Data platform
What you’ll do:
As a Senior Manager, you will lead a team of platform engineers and architects to deliver new capabilities on Schwab’s Big Data Environment. This role will lead a team with a wide range of technical skills across the Hadoop ecosystem (and beyond!) . Additionally, this role will help drive execution against goals while managing priorities, budgets, staffing and skill development within the team
Detailed duties include:
- Driving execution of key projects and deliverables
- Assisting team members in defining priorities, scope, and goals
- Managing a team of 5-7 FTE and 2-5 vendor resources (with frequent growth / mix changes) and provide feedback for individual contributor development.
- Advising on GDT platform engineering technical decisions including architecture approach, solution design and detailed troubleshooting.
- Enforcing adherence to the team’s SDLC and assisting in process improvements while contributing to the team’s adoption of Agile Methods (Scrum &/or Kanban).
- Working closely with our Global Data Office and Analytics partners to ensure expectations are met and acting as a liaison between business and technical teams to resolve issues.
- Ensuring projects are progressing according to plan by resolving issues or obstacles.
- Providing up-to-date resourcing and spending plans to properly manage the team in terms of staffing and finances.
- Evaluating candidates for new positions including FTEs & contractors.
- Building deep understanding of the Big Data Environment ecosystem and all complementary systems and processes
What you have:
Our team members will demonstrate:
- Demonstrated experience with data analytics platform engineering. Direct Big Data experience with a MapR environment very helpful
- Demonstrated experience as a People Manager (> 2 years)
- Experience in Data Analytics Platforms & Technologies (> 2 years)
- Project management experience/knowledge, with ability to drive projects to successful completion; ability to anticipate project risks/issues and propose creative solutions; solid experience and understanding of Agile Methods
- Prior experience interfacing with various partners, including vendors, offshore development teams, and internal groups
- Strong interpersonal, analytical, problem-solving, influencing, prioritization, decision- making and conflict resolution skills
- Excellent written/verbal communication skills
- Strong knowledge of typical data analytics technologies (e.g. Teradata, Tableau, Business Objects, Hadoop Ecosystem, etc.) and processes (e.g. ETL, Reporting, Data Analytics, Data Science, etc.)
- Demonstrate data curiosity and business understanding
- Demonstrated interest in learning about emerging data platforms and technologies include cloud architectures
What you’ll get:
- Comprehensive Compensation and Benefits package
- Financial Health: 401k Match, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, Employee Discounts, Personalized advice, Brokerage discounts
- Work/Life Balance: Sabbatical, Paid Parental Leave, New Mothers returning to work Program, Tuition Reimbursement Programs, Time off to volunteer, Employee Matching Gifts Program
- Everyday Wellness: Health and Lifestyle Wellness Rewards, Onsite Fitness Classes, Healthy Food Choices, Wellness Champions
- Inclusion: Employee Resource Groups, Commitment to diversity, Strategic partnerships
- Not just a job, but a career, with an opportunity to do the best work of your life
Learn more about Life@Schwab.
Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversifying its workforce. It is Schwab's policy to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, legally protected medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, military status, citizenship status or any other status that is protected by law. Schwab also does not discriminate against applicants or employees because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. At Schwab, we believe that every employee, through their diverse abilities and experiences, can contribute to our growth, innovation and client loyalty. We embrace diversity and are committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees and applicants. If you have a disability, and require reasonable accommodations in the application process, call Human Resources at 800-725-3535. We will be happy to assist you. Schwab will only share your accommodation request with those individuals who have a specific need to know. The request for an accommodation will not affect Schwab's hiring decisions. All other submissions should be performed online.
||English - spoken
|Current Licenses / Certifications:
|Relevant Work Experience:
||IT-Other Specialty Engineering-6+ yrs
|Position Located In:
||TX - Austin
Activation Date: Monday, March 26, 2018
Expiration Date: Friday, June 1, 2018