Austin - TX, AUS1, 2309 Gracy Farms Lane, 78758
Jodi Lynn Cohen
We believe that, when done right, investing liberates people to create their own destiny. We are driven by our purpose to champion every client’s goals with passion and integrity. We respect and appreciate the diversity of our employees, our clients, and the communities we serve. We challenge conventions strategically to create value for our clients, our firm and the world. We live and bring to life the concept of ‘own your tomorrow’ every day. We champion our employee strengths, guide their development, and invest in their long-term success. We hire optimistic, results-oriented, curious, innovative, and adaptable people with the desire to help our clients and one another succeed.
As a company, we were established by Chuck over 40 years ago to champion Main Street over Wall Street, and to help Americans transform themselves from earners to owners. Through advocacy and innovation, we work to make investing more affordable, accessible and understandable for all. As we enter our fifth decade, we are looking for talented, innovative and driven people who believe they can help themselves, and our clients, create a better future.
Charles Schwab’s STS Managing Directors thrive in a leading-edge work culture while focusing on products that help Schwab customers learn, explore and make life-impacting moves on their paths to achieving their goals. This position requires a self-motivated individual with strong problem solving skills who can contribute in a highly collaborative culture and a team environment and deliver innovative, value-based reliable solutions. A proven track record of delivering high quality technology products and services in a hyper-growth environment where priorities shift quickly is key to success in the role. The successful candidate will bring an ability to prioritize, to communicate clearly and compellingly, and to understand how to drive a high level of focus and excellence building and leveraging a strong team. Our Managing Directors drive their organizations to continuously contribute to evolving the Schwab experience and technology.
The Managing Director of Service Availability Engineering will assume a leadership role in the highly visible Portfolio Accounting and Portfolio Management applications. The Managing Director will lead teams working on high availability, maintainability, support and production automation of the applications. The MD will drive change within to build a world class Service Availability Engineering organization, lead the application Automation Center of Excellence and taking a visible leadership role leading a consistent operating model, including standard processes, KPIs and practices for service availability, production automation and engineering. You will lead the teams (DevOps, Engineering Services) towards delivering the right technology, systems, and processes to ensuring the reliability, availability and uptime of all Schwab systems.
What you’ll do:
- Participate with other senior leaders to translate strategic plans and goals into tactical plans and objectives for setting priorities. Be the decision maker for administrative or operational matters and ensure objectives are effectively achieved. Provide input to strategy setting.
- Provide input to policy development impacting company-wide issues. Including policy development to manage operational risk and exposure for the company.
- Regularly interact with executives and business partners. Communicate strategic technology plans to associated business partners ensuring collaboration across technology and the business. Create formal networks involving coordination among groups.
- Lead highly experienced technologists, creating successful plans to deliver solutions to the business.
- Contribute to the overall operational strategy of the STS organization.
- Exercise managerial rigor over talent and resources; employee development, talent acquisition, staffing and succession plans.
- Develop a high performance team culture and capabilities by managing talent closely, developing next generation leaders and addressing performance concerns proactively.
- Lead continuous improvement efforts within area regularly to improve process and other efficiencies, resulting in tangible cost improvement for project deliveries and support activities.
- Responsible for designing, building, maintaining, and scaling production servers across multiple data centers for complex and data-intensive services.
- Guide and design software architecture to improve scalability, service reliability, capacity, and performance.
- Work with development teams to make sure the applications fit nicely within the infrastructure and scalability/reliability is designed and implemented from the grounds up. You will work with QA on building pipelines and automation for delivering and deploying applications to production.
- Roll up the sleeves to troubleshoot incidents, formulate theories and test your hypothesis, and narrow down possibilities to find the root cause.
- Owns postmortem reviews and remediation recommendation.
What you have:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related discipline.
- 8+ Years of professional experience building and supporting distributed scalable enterprise-class applications using web technologies; experience should include supporting and developing applications for .Net or Java as well experience with REST services and NoSql databases.
- Experience managing an engineering team on large-scale projects with technical deep-dives into code, networking, operating systems and/or storage.
- Proven track record successfully supporting production support efforts using a DevOps methodology.
- Agile Methodology knowledge and/or Scrum training or certification, with experience leading in an Agile delivery environment.
- Strong technology affinity and experience, as well as attention to detail and the ability to design, execute and maintain strategic goals and metrics.
- Own end-to-end availability and performance of mission critical services and build automation to prevent problem recurrence; automate response to all non-exceptional service conditions.
- Lead by example, care for your team and establish credibility with the quality of your and your team's technical execution.
- Design, write and deliver software to improve the availability, scalability, latency and efficiency of Schwab's services.
- Broad and deep knowledge of IT/software technology and trends, domain knowledge and experience in infrastructure support, application development, quality practices and database administration, including: client/server, web services, portal, middleware, operating systems, databases, networking, security and business intelligence.
- Experience developing strategic roadmaps and communication strategies for teams.
- Experience working with dashboard / environment health display tooling.
- Demonstrated ability to define and communicate strategy and vision and influence across the Enterprise is essential.
- Ability to identify, attract, recruit and hire talent, and to build high performing teams.
- Ability to coach, mentor, and provide direct, timely performance feedback; experience setting direction, tracking progress, and ensuring accountability.
- Strong interpersonal, analytical, problem solving and organizational skills.
- Ability to thrive in a flexible and fast-paced environment, including the ability to think big in a rapidly evolving technology space.
- Ability to successfully handle ambiguity.
- Experience in planning, implementation and support of business application components, including change and release management.
- Ability to work hands on with team members to inspire and motivate all levels of staff towards both tactical and strategic delivery goals.
- Ability to drive change with external counter parties and vendors, managing and enhancing relationships and services provided.
- Ability to facilitate dialog and retrospectives with a diverse group of stakeholders and to review feedback to drive continuous improvement in tools, practices and processes within the emerging enterprise SAvE standards at Schwab.
- Progressive experience supporting highly available, mission critical environments.
- Ability to paint a holistic picture of environment health to technology and business partners leveraging proven strong communication skills, both written and verbal as well as strong presentation skills.
- Strong innovation, creativity, and problem-solving skills, including experience facilitating incident management and system recovery efforts.
What you’ll get:
- Comprehensive Compensation and Benefits package
- Financial Health: 401k Match, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, Employee Discounts, Personalized advice, Brokerage discounts
- Work/Life Balance: Sabbatical, Paid Parental Leave, New Mothers returning to work Program, Tuition Reimbursement Programs, Time off to volunteer, Employee Matching Gifts Program
- Everyday Wellness: Health and Lifestyle Wellness Rewards, Onsite Fitness Classes, Healthy Food Choices, Wellness Champions
- Inclusion: Employee Resource Groups, Commitment to diversity, Strategic partnerships
- Not just a job, but a career, with an opportunity to do the best work of your life
Learn more about Life@Schwab.
Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversifying its workforce. It is Schwab's policy to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, legally protected medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, military status, citizenship status or any other status that is protected by law. Schwab also does not discriminate against applicants or employees because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. At Schwab, we believe that every employee, through their diverse abilities and experiences, can contribute to our growth, innovation and client loyalty. We embrace diversity and are committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees and applicants. If you have a disability, and require reasonable accommodations in the application process, call Human Resources at 800-725-3535. We will be happy to assist you. Schwab will only share your accommodation request with those individuals who have a specific need to know. The request for an accommodation will not affect Schwab's hiring decisions. All other submissions should be performed online.
||English - spoken
|Current Licenses / Certifications:
|Relevant Work Experience:
||IT-Management/Technical Project Mgmt-6+ yrs
|Position Located In:
||TX - Austin
Activation Date: Monday, March 26, 2018
Expiration Date: Sunday, July 1, 2018