Fort Worth - TX, TX13601F, 13601 North Freeway, 76177
Paul Medina Guevara
We believe that, when done right, investing liberates people to create their own destiny. We are driven by our purpose to champion every client’s goals with passion and integrity. We respect and appreciate the diversity of our employees, our clients, and the communities we serve. We challenge conventions strategically to create value for our clients, our firm and the world. We live and bring to life the concept of ‘own your tomorrow’ every day. We champion our employee strengths, guide their development, and invest in their long-term success. We hire optimistic, results-oriented, curious, innovative, and adaptable people with the desire to help our clients and one another succeed.
As a company, we were established by Chuck over 40 years ago to champion Main Street over Wall Street, and to help Americans transform themselves from earners to owners. Through advocacy and innovation, we work to make investing more affordable, accessible and understandable for all. As we enter our fifth decade, we are looking for talented, innovative and driven people who believe they can help themselves, and our clients, create a better future.
The Global Data Solutions organization is responsible for the management and integration of data across Schwab. Our focus is enabling a data driven culture by making data more accessible and available, enabling speed to insight, and ensuring a sound and robust data environment. Ultimately, using a federated data governance model, we will increase the value of our data and maximize it to create competitive edge.
The Managing Director of Metadata is a key member of the Data Governance Office and reports to the Managing Director of Data Governance Office. This role will be responsible for advancing our program work in how we architect and implement metadata strategies from a business perspective. Your focus will be on working with our business partners across the firm, as well as our Data Management team in Global Data Technology, to advance and improve our data governance operating model to provide business value through metadata management. The ideal candidate will have experience managing metadata in the financial services industry, and understand how to structure and capture metadata in a way that accelerates and expands its utility across the firm in support of solving complex data challenges.
It will be important for you to have experience in developing a semantic business vocabulary using data taxonomies. You will be working with various business partners who need metadata to enhance management of compliance, regulation, and risk, while being able to create the metadata story that widens the usage of metadata to drive analytics work from a business perspective. You will bring knowledge of regulatory frameworks and reporting such as BCBS239, DFAST, CCAR, and GDPR. Equally we’d like to hear from candidates who understand how metadata drives machine learning and artificial intelligence through contextualization of data. Though not mandatory, the ideal candidate will have experience in exploiting the capabilities of our Collibra Data Governance Center. And last but not least, you must be able to demonstrate how you build trusted advisor relationships, strong team-building and collaboration skills. You will be advancing our maturity in data governance and data management through the people you work with within the team and across the firm.
What you’ll do:
- Define, establish and lead a firm-wide metadata program and framework which:Develop and maintain a two-to-three year roadmap which articulates how we will execute on the strategy
- Advances the principles we use to capture, enrich and enrich our metadata
- Articulates a strategy that shows how we’ll move through our metadata journey
- Addresses a broad variety of needs for metadata across the firm, responsive to unique needs and priorities of business partners
- Translates these needs into service offerings which business partners can utilize to pursue their individual metadata journey, providing broad flexibility while adhering to established principles and standards
- Results in improved understanding of data and data relationships over time
- Identifies a growth path for advancing capabilities and competencies in the firm’s metadata maturity
- Evangelizes the value of metadata and helps business partners articulate the value of the investment in the program
- Identify the resources, tools and practices required to support the roadmap
- Provide consulting services to support to as many as 30 business units in:Identify strategies and approaches to embed metadata management into new application development and our evolving Big Data Environment
- Defining their metadata focus and opportunities based on articulation of business value
- Helping them organize to execute on their plans
- Monitoring their program progress and help overcome roadblocks
- Creating a sustainable program that adapts to changing business conditions and priorities
- Serve as subject-matter expert for and evangelize metadata and industry-specific best practices
- Provide leadership, development and guidance to the Metadata Management team as it grows
- Collaborate with IT partners to implement and maintain effective tool/platform strategy and architecture that supports metadata initiatives
- Collaborate with business, IT and Local Data Governance Working Groups to identify gaps and remediate issues. Within Data Governance Office, collaborate closely with team members on ongoing development of best practices surrounding data governance activities, and ensuring metadata practices are integrated successfully
- Provide consultation and training in metadata management and improvement practices to Data Owners, Business Data Stewards, business subject matter experts and Technical Data Stewards
- Partner with cross-functional teams to assess metadata enrichment opportunities, identify cost-effective improvements, and manage metadata initiatives as needs dictate
What you have:
- 7+ years of management experience in a data management role with demonstrated success in managing a significant metadata initiative, ideally with a Fortune 100 firm
- Direct experience in a data governance or data management role with Financial Services background (e.g. broker/dealer, asset management, banking) or closely allied industry is essential. Prefer experience working in regulated industry, where management of risk is highly valued
- Leadership skills, managing a team of talented professionals, where you have worked with teams small and large, and cross-functionally, to launch and implement initiatives with wide impact
- Understanding of metadata tools, practices and workflows in large structured environment. Deep familiarity with at least one widely used metadata tool is expected. Should have familiarity with strengths and weaknesses of various technology predominantly sold on the market
- Ability to demonstrate your experience describing how you implemented a program and how business value was consistently achieved. Ability to describe a range of metadata challenges and how you addressed them
- Ability to describe how you have functioned successfully in a highly collaborative culture
- Excellent people and program management skills, describing how you’ve built trusted-advisor relationships quickly
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively across all levels of the organization and achieve results with a largely virtual and distributed team
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Ability to persuade and debate and sell ideas that foster change and encourage movement away from status quo
- Proven ability as a self-starter, showing strong initiative. Comfortable with ambiguity, able to effectively take the conceptual to the pragmatic
- Ability to educate business teams on concepts and nuance, advancing ideas for a robust program.
- Sound judgment, planning, project management and organization skills
- Change agent mentality and ability to influence outcome in a complex organizational environment
- BA/BS (analytic orientation preferred); MBA and/or advanced degree (attractive)
- You may be asked to demonstrate any of the above in an interview
What you’ll get:
- Comprehensive Compensation and Benefits package
- Financial Health: 401k Match, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, Employee Discounts, Personalized advice, Brokerage discounts
- Work/Life Balance: Sabbatical, Paid Parental Leave, New Mothers returning to work Program, Tuition Reimbursement Programs, Time off to volunteer, Employee Matching Gifts Program
- Everyday Wellness: Health and Lifestyle Wellness Rewards, Onsite Fitness Classes, Healthy Food Choices, Wellness Champions
- Inclusion: Employee Resource Groups, Commitment to diversity, Strategic partnerships
- Not just a job, but a career, with an opportunity to do the best work of your life
Learn more about Life@Schwab.
Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversifying its workforce. It is Schwab's policy to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, legally protected medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, military status, citizenship status or any other status that is protected by law. Schwab also does not discriminate against applicants or employees because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. At Schwab, we believe that every employee, through their diverse abilities and experiences, can contribute to our growth, innovation and client loyalty. We embrace diversity and are committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees and applicants. If you have a disability, and require reasonable accommodations in the application process, call Human Resources at 800-725-3535. We will be happy to assist you. Schwab will only share your accommodation request with those individuals who have a specific need to know. The request for an accommodation will not affect Schwab's hiring decisions. All other submissions should be performed online.
||English - spoken
|Current Licenses / Certifications:
|Relevant Work Experience:
||IT-Management/Technical Project Mgmt-6+ yrs
|Position Located In:
||TX - Ft Worth
Activation Date: Wednesday, March 14, 2018
Expiration Date: Friday, June 1, 2018