San Francisco - CA, SF211MN, 211 Main St, 94105-1905
We believe that, when done right, investing liberates people to create their own destiny. We are driven by our purpose to champion every client’s goals with passion and integrity. We respect and appreciate the diversity of our employees, our clients, and the communities we serve. We challenge conventions strategically to create value for our clients, our firm and the world. We live and bring to life the concept of ‘own your tomorrow’ every day. We champion our employee strengths, guide their development, and invest in their long-term success. We hire optimistic, results-oriented, curious, innovative, and adaptable people with the desire to help our clients and one another succeed.
As a company, we were established by Chuck over 40 years ago to champion Main Street over Wall Street, and to help Americans transform themselves from earners to owners. Through advocacy and innovation, we work to make investing more affordable, accessible and understandable for all. As we enter our fifth decade, we are looking for talented, innovative and driven people who believe they can help themselves, and our clients, create a better future.
The Cash Strategy and Analytics team is a strategy group within the Cash Strategy, Deposits, and Payments product team, responsible for delivering high impact business strategy and data analytics for Charles Schwab Bank and for the brokerage Charles Schwab and Co. Inc., to serve our client’s cash and banking needs.
An individual in this role will have the opportunity to gain exposure and develop a strong reputation by working on strategic decisions of the firm’s most senior executives involving the analysis of data on cash. This role is unique in that it offers the opportunity to work on strategic projects that have the potential for firm-wide impact while at the same time building subject matter expertise and industry knowledge in both the banking and brokerage industries.
A manager’s responsibility could range from pulling data from Schwab’s data warehouse to working collaboratively with partners on analyses and business strategy. Project work could include regulatory analysis, responding to regulators’ requests, customer analysis and competitive research, economic and market analysis, business case development for new product/business opportunity, statistical and machine learning modeling/building …etc. The project work largely will involve analyzing and interpreting, for senior management of Schwab Bank and brokerage, data related to cash deposit products, cash strategy, and customer behavior.
Individuals must have superior partnering skills as work typically requires a coordinated effort with team members and cross-functional business partners. Members of the team who are highly successful demonstrate the ability to think creatively, develop recommendations that are data driven/fact-based, deliver results in a matrixed organization and have the flexibility and maturity to handle ambiguous situations. Individuals with a bias for action and the ability to overcome obstacles to successfully execute on multiple projects simultaneously tend to perform well in the role.
What you’ll do:
- Write complex SQL queries to gather data from Schwab’s data warehouse as needed for analyses such as deposit behavior, client segmentation, and transaction flows. Then, work jointly with team members to conduct the strategic analysis of the decision in question, develop a recommendation, and prepare Excel and Powerpoint documents to explain the decision.
- Design, build, and maintain business dashboards for senior management to monitor key business results and initiatives.
- Identify and utilize different analytics tools (Excel, Python, R, SAS…etc.) and techniques (regressions, random forest, regularization …etc.) to perform the analyses necessary for a variety of projects.
- Identify creative use of statistical or machine learning tools to apply to various Schwab Bank strategic issues. Work on all stages of the strategic analysis including identifying the problem, getting the data needed to analyze the problem, working with the stakeholders to understand their needs and perspectives, performing the analysis, developing recommendations and suggestions, and presenting the results and recommendations to stakeholders.
What you have:
- Bachelor's degree required in applied mathematics, statistics, finance, economics, computer science, or other quantitative research field; Post-grad degree preferred
- Advance SQL querying skills; Teradata preferred
- Excellent skills in Excel and Powerpoint
- Ability to convey complex information clearly and concisely in both verbal and written form to a variety of audiences
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Outstanding client focus with a strong worth ethic and “can-do” attitude
- Comfortable working concurrently on multiple projects and deliverables with minimal supervision
- Previous financial services experience is a plus
- Experience with statistical modeling and machine learning or a willingness to learn on your own is highly desirable
Note: This position combines data analytics with general business strategy. The best candidates will have hybrid backgrounds, with strengths in both areas, but we would rather hire a data analyst with more limited experience on the business side, than a business strategist with more limited experience on the data side. This position will focus initially on building knowledge of Schwab data’s warehouse and extracting data, but will develop towards building statistical and machine learning models with the goal of using Big Data tools.
What you’ll get:
- Comprehensive Compensation and Benefits package
- Financial Health: 401k Match, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, Employee Discounts, Personalized advice, Brokerage discounts
- Work/Life Balance: Sabbatical, Paid Parental Leave, New Mothers returning to work Program, Tuition Reimbursement Programs, Time off to volunteer, Employee Matching Gifts Program
- Everyday Wellness: Health and Lifestyle Wellness Rewards, Onsite Fitness Classes, Healthy Food Choices, Wellness Champions
- Inclusion: Employee Resource Groups, Commitment to diversity, Strategic partnerships
- Not just a job, but a career, with an opportunity to do the best work of your life
Learn more about Life@Schwab.
Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversifying its workforce. It is Schwab's policy to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, legally protected medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, military status, citizenship status or any other status that is protected by law. Schwab also does not discriminate against applicants or employees because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. At Schwab, we believe that every employee, through their diverse abilities and experiences, can contribute to our growth, innovation and client loyalty. We embrace diversity and are committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees and applicants. If you have a disability, and require reasonable accommodations in the application process, call Human Resources at 800-725-3535. We will be happy to assist you. Schwab will only share your accommodation request with those individuals who have a specific need to know. The request for an accommodation will not affect Schwab's hiring decisions. All other submissions should be performed online.
||English - spoken
|Current Licenses / Certifications:
|Relevant Work Experience:
||Financial Services-6+ yrs, Analyst/Strategy-2-5 yrs, Product Development-2-5 yrs, Financial Services-less than 2 yrs, Financial Services-2-5 yrs, Product Development-6+ yrs
|Position Located In:
||CA - San Francisco
Activation Date: Tuesday, January 2, 2018
Expiration Date: Saturday, February 3, 2018