Lone Tree - CO, DENR1, 9800 Schwab Way, 80124
Amy Elizabeth Munson
Work with a company that has been challenging the conventions of the financial services industry for over 40 years through an internship with Charles Schwab. Schwab’s mission is to help our clients create a better future for themselves, their families, and their communities. It is summed up in our tagline – Own your tomorrow – and it permeates everything we do.
Schwab Intern Academy is our centrally managed summer internship program that recruits juniors and rising seniors within a year of graduation. As an affirmative action employer, Schwab takes affirmative action to employ qualified minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and protected veterans in our intern program. As a culture that values Diversity and Inclusion, Schwab encourages the application of Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities and Protected Veterans.
The design of the program invites interns to engage directly in Schwab’s culture of service, while challenging them with a blend of learning programs, team-building activities, networking opportunities, and enriching work projects. Features of our 2018 program include:
- Business Track Project: Work with a Schwab organization that provides a meaningful and valuable experience to translate classroom learning into real business projects.
- Intern Cohort Project: Partner with other interns to brainstorm, discuss learning experiences, and present solutions.
- Learning Activities: Participate in facilitated classroom training, team discussions and events, individual assessments and activities, senior leader meetings, and on-the-job training.
- Feedback Loop: Receive regular feedback from your manager, participate in career-related discussions, and provide your own feedback.
- Strengths Application: Learn about yourself and how to apply your unique strengths, abilities, and goals to the work you do as part of Schwab’s ‘strengths-based’ culture.
- Networking: Gain support by interacting with professionals across Schwab, including senior leaders, peers, and Schwab Intern Academy Alumni.
We look for students with:
- Optimism and curiosity, who are inspired by a keen sense of purpose, awareness, and knowledge
- Adaptability and flexibility, who enjoy working through cross-functional partnerships and collaboration to achieve a common purpose
- An innovative and questioning mindset, who constantly look for better ways to do things, have a passion for service, and aim to exceed client expectations
Because interns are considered a primary pipeline for full-time opportunities, every intern candidate must be eligible for full-time employment upon graduation and must also meet the following requirements:
- Enrolled in a current undergraduate program tracking to a bachelor’s degree
- Plan to graduate between December 2018 and May/June 2019
- Can work full time and on-site at Schwab during the 9-week program (June 11 to August 10)
- Have specific skills as needed by the hosting Business Track
Schwab is recognized as an industry leader, and our welcoming culture will embrace your individuality and partner you with other like-minded and solution-focused students. We will invest in your summer experience by providing you direction and leadership for a robust and well-rounded internship, as well as helping you focus on a potential future career with Schwab.
Please Note: The 2018 Schwab Intern Academy features multiple job opportunities. We encourage you to apply for all positions for which you are qualified and interested. Regardless of which opportunity you pursue, we will provide you with a consistent and unique experience – one you won’t soon forget!
Model Risk Management Intern
The Model Risk Management (MRM) department is looking for interns to assist with model risk governance. Model risk is a type of corporate operational risk associated with the use of quantitative models, and the risks of misusing models or relying on erroneous model output. The MRM department reviews models used by the firm and measure overall model risk at the firm.
What you’ll do:
Interns may work on some combination of the following activities:
Job Type 1:
- Management of Schwab’s model inventory databases
- Data visualization, design and automation of dashboards and reporting
- Desired background: MBA
Job Type 2:
- Software development under the guidance of an experienced lead developer
- Desired background: Master’s in a technical field
Job Type 3:
- Auditing processes, policies and procedures and testing controls
- Desired background: MBA
Job Type 4:
- Analysis of regulatory requirements related to various areas of financial services
- Development of a training program to roll out model governance
- Desired background: MBA
Job Type 5:
- Review of models, their documentation and conceptual soundness
- Desired background: Advanced degree in quantitative field
What you have:
Interns may have some combination of the following attributes:
- MBA with a planned graduation date between December 2018 and May/June 2019
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Information Systems, Information Technology, Engineering, or another related field
- Coursework or interest in object-oriented programming with C#, database management with SQL Server, etc.
- Coursework or interest in risk management, audit or compliance
What you’ll get:
- Exposure to many areas of the company and knowledge of how Schwab is structured and operates
- Knowledge of how Schwab quantifies, tracks, and mitigates model risk in accordance with regulatory guidance
- Knowledge of how applications are built and distributed in an established firm
- Experience in data management, reporting, and enterprise-level application development
- Experience communicating with and learning from model owners and validators
Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to diversifying its workforce. All applications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status (disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans), or based on any individual's status in any group or class protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
||English - spoken
|Current Licenses / Certifications:
|Relevant Work Experience:
||No Work Experience
|Position Located In:
||CO - Lone Tree
Activation Date: Thursday, December 7, 2017
Expiration Date: Thursday, March 1, 2018