We believe that, when done right, investing liberates people to create their own destiny. We are driven by our purpose to champion every client’s goals with passion and integrity. We respect and appreciate the diversity of our employees, our clients, and the communities we serve. We challenge conventions strategically to create value for our clients, our firm and the world. We live and bring to life the concept of ‘own your tomorrow’ every day. We champion our employee strengths, guide their development, and invest in their long-term success. We hire optimistic, results-oriented, curious, innovative, and adaptable people with the desire to help our clients and one another succeed.
As a company, we were established by Chuck over 40 years ago to champion Main Street over Wall Street, and to help Americans transform themselves from earners to owners. Through advocacy and innovation, we work to make investing more affordable, accessible and understandable for all. As we enter our fifth decade, we are looking for talented, innovative and driven people who believe they can help themselves, and our clients, create a better future.
Charles Schwab’s Scrum Master has a hands-on role in managing the Scrum process within software development teams. We thrive in a leading-edge work culture while promoting teams and products that help Schwab customers learn, explore and make life-impacting moves on their paths to achieving their goals. The Trading Client Technology Team is looking for someone to perform Scrum Master duties along with facilitating project management of critical deliverables. This position requires a self-motivated individual to coach their teams to higher levels of maturity by continually improving their process, and ensuring that they adhere to the Scrum framework. Our teams are driven to learn, grow, and continuously contribute to evolving the Schwab experience and technology.
The Scrum Master needs to understand and embrace flexibility while leading dedicated teams to deliver business value through their development and delivery execution. He/she works with Product Owners to ensure the appropriate development and delivery of the prioritized backlog. Scrum Masters have above average communication and facilitation skills, are well organized, and exhibit above average follow-up and follow-through skills. They facilitate discussion, decision making and conflict resolution.
This role is also responsible for assisting with the management of the flow of development related work tasks that come from our internal business partners as well as from our QA/business support teams. Specifically, this role helps oversee the completion of both small work task items and large projects from the initial request received by our business partners through all stages of the software development lifecycle. This prioritization process requires balancing new product development efforts, work to enhance existing products, and initiatives to integrate our technology and processes into Schwab technology. The role also requires communicating status with our business partners in order to understand their needs, providing updates to them on a regular basis, and making adjustments to our development process as necessary.
What you’ll do:
- Act as a Scrum Master for 2+ Agile teams simultaneously.
- Create an environment whereby the team is motivated, self-organizing and self-sufficient.
- Organize and facilitate effective Scrum meetings: backlog grooming, Sprint planning, daily Scrum, Sprint review, and Sprint retrospective.
- Assist the team in establishing a consistent and predictable team level cadence (predictable velocity)
- Identify and facilitate the removal of team impediments and escalate as appropriate.
- Work with and coach Product Owners to develop, manage, and continuously groom the team’s product backlog.
- In partnership with the Product Owner, track and communicate to Stakeholders information such as team velocity, Sprint/release progress, impediments, team successes, etc.
- Facilitate cross-team coordination and collaboration when projects require it.
- Create a comprehensive lists of all work tasks in a given release
- Work with teammates, our business partners to assign the relative priority of those work tasks
- Manage the tasks from start to finish throughout the release cycle
- Preparing regular reports to clearly communicate the work being done by application development and the status of the various work tasks is an important part of this job
What you have:
- Lead and demonstrate value-add principles, and willing and able to get your hands dirty to get the job done.
- Communicative and social skills – Able to communicate well with your Teams.
- Enthusiasm and high-energy.
- Continual improvement - Constantly learning new tools and techniques to grow your craft, yourself, and your Teams.
- Attitude of transparency – Desire and ability to bring disclosure and transparency to the business about development and grow trust between the business and development.
- Fully educated and conversant on the Scrum process according to the Scrum Guide.
- Prior experience using Jira
- Thorough understanding of:3+ years of experience in a software development environment preferably involving cross-team dependencies.
- Backlog grooming and relative estimating
- Release planning
- Sprint planning
- Scrum metrics such as Sprint burndown, release burnup, & velocity, to name a few
- Sprint review best practices and techniques
- A variety of retrospective techniques
- 2+ years of experience owning and managing customer expectations, project schedules, status and reporting and change management.
- 1-3 years of experience as a Scrum Master.
- Have led teams in a large, complex enterprise environment where successful projects potentially involve more than 1 Scrum team.
- Ability to apply a wide variety of patterns and techniques to enable the team to achieve success
- Knowledge of project management fundamentals.
- Strong grasp of software development and technology.
- Understanding of derivatives trading
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering or related field, or related experience.
- Scrum Master certification
- Have acted as a traditional project and/or program manager in the past.
- DevOps experience: continuous integration, continuous build, continuous delivery tools and techniques.
- Lean Agile development concepts
- Experience working in a highly regulated environment
- Experience working in a financial services organization
- Solid influencing skills
What you’ll get:
- Comprehensive Compensation and Benefits package
- Financial Health: 401k Match, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, Employee Discounts, Personalized advice, Brokerage discounts
- Work/Life Balance: Sabbatical, Paid Parental Leave, New Mothers returning to work Program, Tuition Reimbursement Programs, Time off to volunteer, Employee Matching Gifts Program
- Everyday Wellness: Health and Lifestyle Wellness Rewards, Onsite Fitness Classes, Healthy Food Choices, Wellness Champions
- Inclusion: Employee Resource Groups, Commitment to diversity, Strategic partnerships
- Not just a job, but a career, with an opportunity to do the best work of your life
Learn more about Life@Schwab.
Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversifying its workforce. It is Schwab's policy to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, legally protected medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, military status, citizenship status or any other status that is protected by law. Schwab also does not discriminate against applicants or employees because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. At Schwab, we believe that every employee, through their diverse abilities and experiences, can contribute to our growth, innovation and client loyalty. We embrace diversity and are committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees and applicants. If you have a disability, and require reasonable accommodations in the application process, call Human Resources at 800-725-3535. We will be happy to assist you. Schwab will only share your accommodation request with those individuals who have a specific need to know. The request for an accommodation will not affect Schwab's hiring decisions. All other submissions should be performed online.
||English - spoken
|Current Licenses / Certifications:
|Relevant Work Experience:
||IT-Other Specialty Engineering-less than 2 yrs
|Position Located In:
||IL - Chicago
Activation Date: Tuesday, December 5, 2017
Expiration Date: Thursday, February 1, 2018