Austin - TX, AUS1, 2309 Gracy Farms Lane, 78758
We believe that, when done right, investing liberates people to create their own destiny. We are driven by our purpose to champion every client’s goals with passion and integrity. We respect and appreciate the diversity of our employees, our clients, and the communities we serve. We challenge conventions strategically to create value for our clients, our firm and the world. We live and bring to life the concept of ‘own your tomorrow’ every day. We champion our employee strengths, guide their development, and invest in their long-term success. We hire optimistic, results-oriented, curious, innovative, and adaptable people with the desire to help our clients and one another succeed.
As a company, we were established by Chuck over 40 years ago to champion Main Street over Wall Street, and to help Americans transform themselves from earners to owners. Through advocacy and innovation, we work to make investing more affordable, accessible and understandable for all. As we enter our fifth decade, we are looking for talented, innovative and driven people who believe they can help themselves, and our clients, create a better future.
Charles Schwab’s STS Managing Directors thrive in a leading-edge work culture while focusing on products that help Schwab customers learn, explore and make life-impacting moves on their paths to achieving their goals. This position requires a self-motivated individual with strong problem solving skills who can contribute in a highly collaborative culture and a team environment and deliver innovative, value-based reliable solutions. A proven track record of delivering high quality technology products and services in a hyper-growth environment where priorities shift quickly is key to success in the role. The successful candidate will bring an ability to prioritize, to communicate clearly and compellingly, and to understand how to drive a high level of focus and excellence building and leveraging a strong team. Our Managing Directors drive their organizations to continuously contribute to evolving the Schwab experience and technology.
The Managing Director of Wealth Management Technology Service Availability & Engineering reports to the Vice President of Wealth Management Technology. The Wealth Management Technology Team is looking for an experienced Managing Director to lead teams working on high availability, maintainability, quality and technical currency of Wealth Management Technology platforms, including Intelligent Portfolios platforms, Schwab AdviceSuite, Schwab Equity Ratings and affiliated RIAs Windhaven, Thomas Partners and CSIA. The expectation is to build and lead a service and engineering organization focused on the high availability, maintainability, quality and technical currency for Wealth Management Technology platforms. The MD will drive change within the WMT organization to build a world class Service Availability and Engineering organization, taking a visible leadership role for migrating currently decentralized and inconsistent production support to a consolidated and consistent operating model, including standard processes, KPIs and practices for service availability, automation and engineering
What you’ll do:
- Participate with other senior leaders to translate strategic plans and goals into tactical plans and objectives for setting priorities. Be the decision maker for administrative or operational matters and ensure objectives are effectively achieved. Provide input to strategy setting.
- Build and realize the strategy and lead internal business management functions for the organization, as well as guide the future growth and development of the organization.
- Provide input to policy development impacting company-wide issues. Including policy development to manage risk and exposure for the company.
- Work on complex issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth knowledge of the company and evaluation of intangibles. Participate in corporate development of methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for projects, programs and people. Ensure budgets and schedules meet corporate requirements. Exercise judgement in determining the methods, techniques and approaches for obtaining results.
- Regularly interact with executives and business partners. Communicate strategic technology plans to associated business partners ensuring collaboration across technology and the business. Create formal networks involving coordination among groups.
- Lead highly experienced technologists, creating successful plans to deliver solutions to the business.
- Lead through subordinate managers the activities of a broad functional area. Responsible for planning, staffing, budgeting and managing expense priorities. Accountable for managing an annual budget of $2MM-$5MM across projects and support within 1% variance.
- Contribute to the overall architectural strategy of the STS organization.
- Direct the strategic and tactical business management goals for the team, building client driven technology teams improving the software quality, platform and technology service provided to the functional businesses.
- Build processes and policies that meet or exceed federal guidelines and requirements for financial institutions all while developing frameworks for operational effectiveness that ensure the technology portfolio and governance aligns to the firms’ strategic business goals and objectives.
- Exercise managerial rigor over talent and resources; employee development, talent acquisition, staffing and succession plans. Develop a high performance team culture and capabilities by managing talent closely, developing next generation leaders and addressing performance concerns proactively.
- Lead contracting of Professional Services, Software and/or Hardware vendors in compliance with corporate vendor strategy to enhance current skills and capabilities for the respecting area.
- Lead continuous improvement efforts within area regularly to improve process and other efficiencies, resulting in tangible cost improvement for project deliveries and support activities.
What you have:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related discipline.
- 12+ years of IT project experience, with project management, resource management, and offshore vendor management capabilities.
- 5+ years’ experience with running medium to large/complex projects or teams with multiple interactions and dependencies.
- People and team leadership & management
- Demonstrated ability to define and communicate strategy and vision and influence across the Enterprise is essential
- Ability to identify, attract, recruit and hire talent, and to build high performing teams
- Ability to coach, mentor, and provide direct, timely performance feedback; experience setting direction, tracking progress, and ensuring accountability
- Strong interpersonal, analytical, problem solving and organizational skills.
- Ability to work as a contributing member in a high-paced and focused team. Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to thrive in a flexible and fast-paced environment, including the ability to think big in a rapidly evolving technology space.
- Ability to lead effectively across multiple time zones and locations.
- Ability to successfully handle ambiguity.
- Experience in planning, implementation and support of business application components, including change and release management.
- Ability to work hands on with team members to inspire and motivate all levels of staff towards both tactical and strategic delivery goals
- Ability to drive change with external counterparties and vendors, managing and enhancing relationships and services provided
- Ability to facilitate dialogue and retrospectives with a diverse group of stakeholders and to review feedback to drive continuous improvement in tools, practices and processes within the emerging enterprise SAVE standards at Schwab
- Proven track record successfully supporting production support efforts using a DevOps methodology
- Progressive experience supporting highly available, mission critical environments
- Ability to paint a holistic picture of environment health to technology and business partners leveraging proven strong communication skills, both written and verbal as well as strong presentation skills
- Strong innovation, creativity, and problem-solving skills, including experience facilitating incident management and system recovery efforts
- Experience with unit testing, test automation and history of successful interaction and leadership influence on QA and quality practices within an organization.
- Agile Methodology knowledge and/or Scrum training or certification, with experience leading in an Agile delivery environment.
- Strong technology affinity and experience, as well as attention to detail and the ability to design, execute and maintain strategic goals and metrics.
- Broad and deep knowledge of IT/software technology and trends, domain knowledge and experience in infrastructure support, application development, quality practices and database administration, including: client/server, web services, portal, middleware, operating systems, databases, networking, security and business intelligence.
- Experience developing strategic roadmaps and communication strategies for teams
- Experience working with dashboard / environment health display tooling
- Experience transitioning platforms to cloud-ready
- Shows a commitment to high ethical standards and integrity and demonstrates this through action
- Inquisitive, analytical, a strategic thinker, proactive and solutions-oriented
- High-energy, positive, entrepreneurial in spirit while goal-oriented and results-driven
- Self-starter; takes initiative and can work independently
- Well-organized and disciplined with high attention to detail
- Flexible and adaptable working with various business domains
- Direct, plain-spoken; conveys a genuine/authentic demeanor
- Post-graduate degree or applicable certification
- 3+ years’ experience in Financial Services Industry a plus.
What you’ll get:
- Comprehensive Compensation and Benefits package
- Financial Health: 401k Match, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, Employee Discounts, Personalized advice, Brokerage discounts
- Work/Life Balance: Sabbatical, Paid Parental Leave, New Mothers returning to work Program, Tuition Reimbursement Programs, Time off to volunteer, Employee Matching Gifts Program
- Everyday Wellness: Health and Lifestyle Wellness Rewards, Onsite Fitness Classes, Healthy Food Choices, Wellness Champions
- Inclusion: Employee Resource Groups, Commitment to diversity, Strategic partnerships
- Not just a job, but a career, with an opportunity to do the best work of your life
Learn more about Life@Schwab.
Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversifying its workforce. It is Schwab's policy to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, legally protected medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, military status, citizenship status or any other status that is protected by law. Schwab also does not discriminate against applicants or employees because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. At Schwab, we believe that every employee, through their diverse abilities and experiences, can contribute to our growth, innovation and client loyalty. We embrace diversity and are committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees and applicants. If you have a disability, and require reasonable accommodations in the application process, call Human Resources at 800-725-3535. We will be happy to assist you. Schwab will only share your accommodation request with those individuals who have a specific need to know. The request for an accommodation will not affect Schwab's hiring decisions. All other submissions should be performed online.
||English - spoken
|Current Licenses / Certifications:
|Relevant Work Experience:
||IT-Other Specialty Engineering-6+ yrs
|Position Located In:
||TX - Austin
Activation Date: Monday, November 13, 2017
Expiration Date: Monday, January 1, 2018