We believe that, when done right, investing liberates people to create their own destiny. We are driven by our purpose to champion every client’s goals with passion and integrity. We respect and appreciate the diversity of our employees, our clients, and the communities we serve. We challenge conventions strategically to create value for our clients, our firm and the world. We live and bring to life the concept of ‘own your tomorrow’ every day. We champion our employee strengths, guide their development, and invest in their long-term success. We hire optimistic, results-oriented, curious, innovative, and adaptable people with the desire to help our clients and one another succeed.
As a company, we were established by Chuck over 40 years ago to champion Main Street over Wall Street, and to help Americans transform themselves from earners to owners. Through advocacy and innovation, we work to make investing more affordable, accessible and understandable for all. As we enter our fifth decade, we are looking for talented, innovative and driven people who believe they can help themselves, and our clients, create a better future.
The Corporate Brokerage Solutions Technology team in Charles Schwab & Co.'s IT organization has an opening for a Technical Director to lead development of technology strategy, architecture and IT plans and roadmaps for this growth business. This position will play a key role in driving change and modernizing platforms of high strategic value to the firm. Our main goal here at Schwab is to transform people’s lives by changing the way the world invests. We are looking for a talented technologist to lead, collaborate and influence the modernization of our mission critical distributed services. We are in the process of rapidly modernizing our infrastructure and looking for a change agent who will thrive in leading, influencing, challenging the status quo and, inspiring and collaborating with a team of highly motivated and talented technicians in meeting our business driven technology objectives.
What you’ll do:
This leader will play an integral role in providing direction on future state architecture for Stock Plan Services and Compliance Solutions Technology businesses. The individual will define future state functional and technical architecture direction for key capabilities through a thorough understanding of business vision and strategy as well as developing deep knowledge of current state capabilities. The successful candidate will work with teams to define and develop roadmaps to progress and transform the technology landscape and ensure scalable, high performance and modernized platforms. They will participate in planning and implementation efforts, interfacing with business and technology leaders and directing a multi-disciplinary technical team and participating as a hands-on contributor when needed.
- Establish Corporate Brokerage Solutions technology strategy, architecture and roadmaps in alignment with the business values, vision, and priorities of the firm.
- Provide direction on architecture and design decisions including solution evaluation and selection, buy vs. build, on or off premise, private, public or hybrid cloud, project estimations, technology selection and high level technical design.
- Lead the design and architecture of PaaS ready distributed services that will be exposed via Web API and REST interface to our channel partners.
- Lead large and transformational delivery efforts ensuring engineers fully leverage the technology for future solutions and designs
- Work with strategic vendors in the realization of our strategy Perform ROI and other cost-benefit analysis of new strategies and technologies
- Define IT business capability and technical frameworks, blueprints and artifacts for the SPST and CST modernization efforts
- Collaborate with other Enterprise, Information Security architects, Application and Infrastructure architects on overall roadmap and priorities
- Work closely with engineers and other Schwab technology groups in the execution of technology proof of concepts, pilots and the adoption lifecycle
- Work with the platform managers to set the standards and designs to be used as part as solution delivery to our corporate clients and their employees
- Develop and foster cross organizational relationships with application, infrastructure and business unit team members
- Mentor, influence, and share knowledge across all levels of the organization
- Communicate overall vision, strategy, and roadmap to business counterparts
- Collaborate with leadership to manage business stakeholder expectations effectively
- Define, communicate and enforce design/coding standards for our distributed services.
- Influence and define processes to enable agile transformation within the organization.
- Influence Test Driven and Behavior Driven development practices and Quality Engineering.
What you have:
- B.S. Computer Science preferred or equivalent experience
- 10+ years of solid development experience in distributed platform.
- 5+ years of experience as an architect in building complex, resilient and highly scalable applications.
- Proven ability to design and build complex systems for global enterprises which scale and operate reliably, efficiently and with high performance
- Proven experience in evaluating business needs then defining and designing capabilities and services required to scale, perform and meet them
- Demonstrated experience in IT planning and strategy, governance and oversight, architecture and design and delivering measurable results in reducing cost, time to market and risk
- In-depth knowledge of large enterprise challenges of application portfolio management, including: technology rationalization, technical debt servicing, emerging technology introductions, systems integration and service level management
- Experience with Agile development methodology and Test-Driven Development
- Deep knowledge of REST and the Web Services space
- Knowledge and experience with server side .NET and Java
- Broad knowledge of software engineering: languages, frameworks, techniques, industry trends, etc.
- 6+ years of experience as an Application and/or Solution Architect
- In-depth understanding of the Systems Development in Investor Services, Stock Plan Administration
- Knowledge of NoSQL databases (Aerospike, MongoDB, Redis are preferred)
- Platform modernization experience will be a plus
- 3+ years of experience in Financial Services Industry is preferred
- Knowledge of PaaS and Pivotal Cloud Foundry is a plus
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to interface with internal customers and establish strong, collaborative partnerships
What you’ll get:
- Comprehensive Compensation and Benefits package
- Financial Health: 401k Match, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, Employee Discounts, Personalized advice, Brokerage discounts
- Work/Life Balance: Sabbatical, Paid Parental Leave, New Mothers returning to work Program, Tuition Reimbursement Programs, Time off to volunteer, Employee Matching Gifts Program
- Everyday Wellness: Health and Lifestyle Wellness Rewards, Onsite Fitness Classes, Healthy Food Choices, Wellness Champions
- Inclusion: Employee Resource Groups, Commitment to diversity, Strategic partnerships
- Not just a job, but a career, with an opportunity to do the best work of your life
Learn more about Life@Schwab.
Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversifying its workforce. It is Schwab's policy to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, legally protected medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, military status, citizenship status or any other status that is protected by law. Schwab also does not discriminate against applicants or employees because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. At Schwab, we believe that every employee, through their diverse abilities and experiences, can contribute to our growth, innovation and client loyalty. We embrace diversity and are committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees and applicants. If you have a disability, and require reasonable accommodations in the application process, call Human Resources at 800-725-3535. We will be happy to assist you. Schwab will only share your accommodation request with those individuals who have a specific need to know. The request for an accommodation will not affect Schwab's hiring decisions. All other submissions should be performed online.
||English - spoken
|Current Licenses / Certifications:
|Relevant Work Experience:
||IT-Distributed and Web Development-6+ yrs, IT-Other Specialty Engineering-6+ yrs
|Position Located In:
||TX - Westlake
Activation Date: Monday, October 30, 2017
Expiration Date: Tuesday, December 26, 2017