We believe that, when done right, investing liberates people to create their own destiny. We are driven by our purpose to champion every client’s goals with passion and integrity. We respect and appreciate the diversity of our employees, our clients, and the communities we serve. We challenge conventions strategically to create value for our clients, our firm and the world. We live and bring to life the concept of ‘own your tomorrow’ every day. We champion our employee strengths, guide their development, and invest in their long-term success. We hire optimistic, results-oriented, curious, innovative, and adaptable people with the desire to help our clients and one another succeed.
As a company, we were established by Chuck over 40 years ago to champion Main Street over Wall Street, and to help Americans transform themselves from earners to owners. Through advocacy and innovation, we work to make investing more affordable, accessible and understandable for all. As we enter our fifth decade, we are looking for talented, innovative and driven people who believe they can help themselves, and our clients, create a better future.
The Cash & Stock Solutions technology organization (CSS), part of the larger Schwab Technology Services organization, is responsible for application design, development and support for the Cashiering, Corporate Actions, Custody, Segregation, Settlement, and TOA applications that provide critical back office support for the broker-dealer.
What you’ll do:
The Senior team lead and developer position will be part of the Custody and Segregation technology team, providing mainframe application support alongside a fellow technical lead and small offshore team for these applications. The Stock Custody domain is responsible for providing applications that manage information required to support the safekeeping of non-cash assets held for the benefit of clients, or the firm, grouped into the following areas: Securities Movement and Control Services, Stock Record Services, and Stock Journals and Adjustments. The Segregation domain consists of vendor and in-house processes that perform regulatory calculations related to SEC Customer Protection rule 15c3-3, which are used to apply security segregation processing, monitoring and reporting for the firm. The technical lead and developer role for the Custody and Segregation applications will work closely with other technical leads, architects and developers across CSS, QA testing partners, and internal operational business partners to design, develop, and implement maintenance, regulatory, and enhancement changes to the applications.
For projects and application maintenance, the technical lead must evaluate and identify the scope, objectives, risks, drivers, issues and priorities and provide and obtain approval on technical sizing estimates; they must develop technical requirements, project definition, code construction, adapt to change control, testing processes, and deployment and implementation strategies to minimize risk. The project deliverables and ongoing application maintenance/enhancements must be delivered on time and within budget while adhering to governance processes that are subject to audits. The Tech Lead develops and maintains adequate application documentation to provide efficient knowledge transfer and production support that complies with internal and external documentation standards. The technical lead is equally responsible and accountable for system changes delegated to offshore team members and those implemented by the lead himself/herself. The Tech Lead may be required to be available as needed and ensure the 24/7 availability, security, protection of customer data, performance and maintainability of the applications, which use Cobol, CICS, DB2, Datacom, Eztrieve, JCL, Syncsort, Starbat/Fileaid, Comparex, and Expediter. Extensive experience working in development environments using RUP, Waterfall and Agile software development methodoligies is required. Broad technical skills are required, as is a strong aptitude for using MS Visio, Word, Excel, Visual Studio Team Foundation Server, Jira, BMC Remedy, and ChangeMan.
In addition to deep technical experience and expertise, the tech lead should comply with company and team development standards, have excellent verbal and written communication skills, be prepared to trouble-shoot and address urgent production issues 24x7, seamlessly facilitate cross team discussions, successfully collaborate within small teams that are geographically dispersed, provide cross-training to other junior team members, and comfortably present designs and technical concepts to broader technical teams.
Please note that this is a summary only, and duties and responsibilities may be changed from time to time, or over time.
What you have:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Mathematics, or related field
- 8+ years of experience in the job offered, or a related application development position.
Experience and/or education must include:
- Minimum of 8-10 years of application design and development experience using the following: Cobol, CICS, DB2, Datacom, Eztrieve, JCL, Syncsort, Comparex, TSO, NDM, Starbat/fileaid tools, Expediter/de bugging tools, Job scheduling products
- Some experience developing in or integrating with java or C# environments
- Experience working with Financial industry messaging including SWIFT, DTC ISO messaging, or other related/similar XML-based formats
- Experience working in a 24/7 production support environment for brokerage applications, where teams consist of onshore and offshore members
- At least 5 years of recent work experience working in the financial services industry
- Broad experience working in Agile Scrum or Agile Kanban teams for software development, and knowledge of Waterfall and RUP software development lifecycles
- Advanced analytical skills, both technical analysis and analysis of business requirements
- Experience in working through design for and transition of applications from mainframe to distributed technologies, a plus
What you’ll get:
- Comprehensive Compensation and Benefits package
- Financial Health: 401k Match, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, Employee Discounts, Personalized advice, Brokerage discounts
- Work/Life Balance: Sabbatical, Paid Parental Leave, New Mothers returning to work Program, Tuition Reimbursement Programs, Time off to volunteer, Employee Matching Gifts Program
- Everyday Wellness: Health and Lifestyle Wellness Rewards, Onsite Fitness Classes, Healthy Food Choices, Wellness Champions
- Inclusion: Employee Resource Groups, Commitment to diversity, Strategic partnerships
- Not just a job, but a career, with an opportunity to do the best work of your life
Learn more about Life@Schwab.
Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversifying its workforce. It is Schwab's policy to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, legally protected medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, military status, citizenship status or any other status that is protected by law.
||English - spoken
|Current Licenses / Certifications:
|Relevant Work Experience:
||IT-Mainframe (Systems Prog/App Dev)-6+ yrs, IT-Distributed and Web Development-2-5 yrs
|Position Located In:
||TX - Westlake
Activation Date: Friday, October 13, 2017
Expiration Date: Sunday, January 14, 2018