San Francisco - CA, BRCAS2, 211 Main Street, 94105
Amber Marie Spiewak
We believe that, when done right, investing liberates people to create their own destiny. We are driven by our purpose to champion every client’s goals with passion and integrity. We respect and appreciate the diversity of our employees, our clients, and the communities we serve. We challenge conventions strategically to create value for our clients, our firm and the world. We live and bring to life the concept of ‘own your tomorrow’ every day. We champion our employee strengths, guide their development, and invest in their long-term success. We hire optimistic, results-oriented, curious, innovative, and adaptable people with the desire to help our clients and one another succeed.
As a company, we were established by Chuck over 40 years ago to champion Main Street over Wall Street, and to help Americans transform themselves from earners to owners. Through advocacy and innovation, we work to make investing more affordable, accessible and understandable for all. As we enter our fifth decade, we are looking for talented, innovative and driven people who believe they can help themselves, and our clients, create a better future.
Work with a company that has been challenging the conventions of the financial services industry for over 40 years through an internship with Charles Schwab. Schwab’s mission is to help our clients create a better future for themselves, their families, and their communities. It is summed up in our tagline – Own your tomorrow – and it permeates everything we do.
Schwab Intern Academy is our centrally managed summer internship program that recruits juniors and rising seniors within a year of graduation. As an affirmative action employer, Schwab takes affirmative action to employ qualified minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and protected veterans in our intern program. As a culture that values Diversity and Inclusion, Schwab encourages the application of Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities and Protected Veterans.
The design of the program invites interns to engage directly in Schwab’s culture of service, while challenging them with a blend of learning programs, team-building activities, networking opportunities, and enriching work projects. Features of our 2018 program include:
- Business Track Project:Work with a Schwab organization that provides a meaningful and valuable experience to translate classroom learning into real business projects.
- Intern Cohort Project: Partner with other interns to brainstorm, discuss learning experiences, and present solutions.
- Learning Activities: Participate in facilitated classroom training, team discussions and events, individual assessments and activities, senior leader meetings, and on-the-job training.
- Feedback Loop: Receive regular feedback from your manager, participate in career-related discussions, and provide your own feedback.
- Strengths Application: Learn about yourself and how to apply your unique strengths, abilities, and goals to the work you do as part of Schwab’s ‘strengths-based’ culture.
- Networking: Gain support by interacting with professionals across Schwab, including senior leaders, peers, and Schwab Intern Academy Alumni.
We look for students with:
- Optimism and curiosity, who are inspired by a keen sense of purpose, awareness, and knowledge
- Adaptability and flexibility, who enjoy working through cross-functional partnerships and collaboration to achieve a common purpose
- An innovative and questioning mindset, who constantly look for better ways to do things, have a passion for service, and aim to exceed client expectations
Because interns are considered a primary pipeline for full-time opportunities, every intern candidate must be eligible for full-time employment upon graduation and must also meet the following requirements:
- Enrolled in a current undergraduate program tracking to a bachelor’s degree
- Plan to graduate between December 2018 and May/June 2019
- Can work full time and on-site at Schwab during the 9-week program (June 11 to August 10)
- Have specific skills as needed by the hosting Business Track
Schwab is recognized as an industry leader, and our welcoming culture will embrace your individuality and partner you with other like-minded and solution-focused students. We will invest in your summer experience by providing you direction and leadership for a robust and well-rounded internship, as well as helping you focus on a potential future career with Schwab.
Please Note: The 2018 Schwab Intern Academy features multiple job opportunities. We encourage you to apply for all positions for which you are qualified and interested. Regardless of which opportunity you pursue, we will provide you with a consistent and unique experience – one you won’t soon forget!
Corporate Development & Strategy
Schwab Corporate Strategy serves as a trusted advisor to executives, senior leaders, and business partners by providing thought partnership, strategic analysis, and insights. The group is one of the main intake valves for high caliber talent at Schwab and provides members with an unparalleled opportunity to define and work on the company’s most critical strategic opportunities while gaining visibility among the company’s executive and senior leadership.
Corporate Strategy is responsible for delivering thoughtful, insightful, high impact contributions across a range of “high-stakes” strategic projects. The Strategy Intern works in a team setting and builds relationships with a wide range of stakeholders at all levels of the organization and across Schwab’s businesses. Project work will primarily focus on developing strategic insights that will drive sustained growth for Schwab.
The team is responsible for:
Insights: Deliver world class strategic insights and recommendations
Analysis: Conduct clear, consistent, fact-based analysis to inform key business decisions
Prioritization: Drive the allocation of scarce resources to the highest value issues across Schwab
Communication: Develop high impact presentations for key audiences, including the c-suite, Board, analyst community, and regulators
Partnership: Cultivate strong relationships with business partners across the company to inform and align strategy work, and to actively support the transition from recommendation to execution
M&A: Evaluate and execute mergers, acquisitions and strategic investments
What you will gain:
- Opportunity to influence the key strategic decisions that are shaping the direction of the company
- Meaningful exposure to a wide range of business leaders and executives, including strong support for further career development at Schwab
- Further develop your “consulting toolkit” to drive structured problem solving, develop storyboards, and conduct robust analysis
- Learn how to balance “theory” and “practice” in adapting analysis and recommendations for the complexities of real world conditions – industry trends, competitor actions, and client behavior
- Develop credibility and rapport with key business partners as you learn about Schwab’s clients and businesses and develop a deeper understanding of key business drivers
Your key responsibilities:
- Plan and execute work streams for large, complex projects, as well as take co-ownership end-to-end for smaller projects
- Author and deliver high-impact presentations
- Synthesize large quantities of information to generate insights through both quantitative and qualitative analysis
- Develop and maintain perspective on strategic implications of key developments in the external environment, industry trends, and competitor actions
- Study industry landscape, identify potential acquisition targets, build business models, conduct valuation, analyze strategic fit, conduct due diligence, project manage transaction, and negotiate NDAs and contracts.
- Develop strong relationships across the firm and cultivate the team’s linkages with corporate development, financial planning, investor relations, and the broader strategy community at Schwab
What you have:
- Strong intellectual curiosity, the ability to learn quickly
- Strong analytical and creative problem-solving skills
- Team player with a can-do attitude
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work efficiently and manage pace of work to meet deadlines
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Comfort working in small groups as well as working independently
- Strong Excel capabilities required; familiarity with PowerPoint preferred
Learn more about Life@Schwab.
Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to diversifying its workforce. All applications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status (disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans), or based on any individual's status in any group or class protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
||English - spoken
|Current Licenses / Certifications:
|Relevant Work Experience:
||No Work Experience
|Position Located In:
||CA - San Francisco
Activation Date: Wednesday, September 20, 2017
Expiration Date: Wednesday, November 1, 2017