Phoenix - AZ, PHX4701A, 4701 E Francisco Dr, 85044-5365
Amy Elizabeth Munson
We believe that, when done right, investing liberates people to create their own destiny. We are driven by our purpose to champion every client’s goals with passion and integrity. We respect and appreciate the diversity of our employees, our clients, and the communities we serve. We challenge conventions strategically to create value for our clients, our firm and the world. We live and bring to life the concept of ‘own your tomorrow’ every day. We champion our employee strengths, guide their development, and invest in their long-term success. We hire optimistic, results-oriented, curious, innovative, and adaptable people with the desire to help our clients and one another succeed.
As a company, we were established by Chuck over 40 years ago to champion Main Street over Wall Street, and to help Americans transform themselves from earners to owners. Through advocacy and innovation, we work to make investing more affordable, accessible and understandable for all. As we enter our fifth decade, we are looking for talented, innovative and driven people who believe they can help themselves, and our clients, create a better future.
Work with a company that has been challenging the conventions of the financial services industry for over 40 years through an internship with Charles Schwab. Schwab’s mission is to help our clients create a better future for themselves, their families, and their communities. It is summed up in our tagline – Own your tomorrow – and it permeates everything we do.
Schwab Intern Academy is our centrally managed summer internship program that recruits juniors and rising seniors within a year of graduation. As an affirmative action employer, Schwab takes affirmative action to employ qualified minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and protected veterans in our intern program. As a culture that values Diversity and Inclusion, Schwab encourages the application of Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities and Protected Veterans.
The design of the program invites interns to engage directly in Schwab’s culture of service, while challenging them with a blend of learning programs, team-building activities, networking opportunities, and enriching work projects. Features of our 2018 program include:
- Business Track Project: Work with a Schwab organization that provides a meaningful and valuable experience to translate classroom learning into real business projects.
- Intern Cohort Project: Partner with other interns to brainstorm, discuss learning experiences, and present solutions.
- Learning Activities: Participate in facilitated classroom training, team discussions and events, individual assessments and activities, senior leader meetings, and on-the-job training.
- Feedback Loop: Receive regular feedback from your manager, participate in career-related discussions, and provide your own feedback.
- Strengths Application: Learn about yourself and how to apply your unique strengths, abilities, and goals to the work you do as part of Schwab’s ‘strengths-based’ culture.
- Networking: Gain support by interacting with professionals across Schwab, including senior leaders, peers, and Schwab Intern Academy Alumni.
We look for students with:
- Optimism and curiosity, who are inspired by a keen sense of purpose, awareness, and knowledge
- Adaptability and flexibility, who enjoy working through cross-functional partnerships and collaboration to achieve a common purpose
- An innovative and questioning mindset, who constantly look for better ways to do things, have a passion for service, and aim to exceed client expectations
Because interns are considered a primary pipeline for full-time opportunities, every intern candidate must be eligible for full-time employment upon graduation and must also meet the following requirements:
- Enrolled in a current undergraduate program tracking to a bachelor’s degree
- Plan to graduate between December 2018 and May/June 2019
- Can work full time and on-site at Schwab during the 9-week program (June 11 to August 10)
- Have specific skills as needed by the hosting Business Track
Schwab is recognized as an industry leader, and our welcoming culture will embrace your individuality and partner you with other like-minded and solution-focused students. We will invest in your summer experience by providing you direction and leadership for a robust and well-rounded internship, as well as helping you focus on a potential future career with Schwab.
Please Note: The 2018 Schwab Intern Academy features multiple job opportunities. We encourage you to apply for all positions for which you are qualified and interested. Regardless of which opportunity you pursue, we will provide you with a consistent and unique experience – one you won’t soon forget!
Corporate Operational Risk Intern for RCSA Administration
A culture of risk management is fundamental to the business of The Charles Schwab Corporation and its subsidiaries and affiliates (CSC or Firm). And with that, the management of operational risk is a key component of a sound risk management program that establishes minimum standards and outlines roles and responsibilities for business line management across the Firm for how they identify and manage risks inherent in the products, activities, processes, and systems for which it is accountable.
RCSA Administration, part of Corporate Operational Risk (COR), manages a Risk and Control Self-Assessment (RCSA) program for the firm. The purpose of the RCSA program is to provide a common, firm-wide risk and control self-assessment framework that Senior Management can use to:
- Document the inherent risks of their business unit
- Describe the key controls activities in place to mitigate those risks
- Document the operational issues that could include action plans for improvement
- Provide a vehicle for firm-wide cataloging and tracking of risks, controls and issues to facilitate analysis for reporting to the Firm’s Board Risk Committee, management committee, senior management, and other oversight groups
- Provide support for the Firm’s risk management frameworks, including Enterprise and Operational Risk Management, which includes: Risk Identification, Assessment, Monitoring, Reporting and Measurement
The intern will have the opportunity to work closely with members of RCSA Administration as they execute key functions of the RCSA Program, that includes engaging business partners and oversight groups with help and guidance in fulfilling their responsibilities with emphasis placed on risk assessment, reporting, risk monitoring and data quality.
You will help with the following key responsibilities:
- Validate risk, control, issue and action plan information provided by business partners and oversight groups for compliance with established procedures in support of data consistency and quality
- Analyze risk information that will be reported to risk management committees and the Board for completeness and accuracy
- Process RCSA data changes requested by business partners or other data needs in support of data completeness
- Engage in User Acceptance Testing (UAT) activities with one of the leading Governance, Risk and Compliance tools in the industry (IBM’s OpenPages) to ensure business requirements for system enhancements are working as expected
- Work on department initiatives to mature various aspects of the RCSA Program
- Work on ad-hoc analysis and/or reporting assignments related to RCSA information as requested by business partners, oversight groups or regulators
Your skillsets should include:
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Familiar with the concepts and ability to perform UAT on system enhancements
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Good independent judgement with strong analytical skills
- Self-starter with strong organizational/time management skills
- Ability to manage multiple assignments all at one time
- Effective relationship builder; ability to partner with others to work effectively with various levels of the organization as well as various personality types
What you will learn:
- Unique insights into the key concepts of a Risk and Control Self-Assessment Program and how they are implemented
- How technology is used (OpenPages) to support an extensive program that engages nearly all senior officers and their delegates across the Firm in a regular assessment and reporting process
- How and what type of risk information is reported to business line management up through to the Board
Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to diversifying its workforce. All applications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status (disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans), or based on any individual's status in any group or class protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
||English - spoken
|Current Licenses / Certifications:
|Relevant Work Experience:
||No Work Experience
|Position Located In:
||AZ - Phoenix, CO - Lone Tree
Activation Date: Wednesday, September 6, 2017
Expiration Date: Wednesday, November 1, 2017