Westlake - TX, TX2050R, 2050 Roanoke Road, 76262-9616
We believe that, when done right, investing liberates people to create their own destiny. We are driven by our purpose to champion every client’s goals with passion and integrity. We respect and appreciate the diversity of our employees, our clients, and the communities we serve. We challenge conventions strategically to create value for our clients, our firm and the world. We live and bring to life the concept of ‘own your tomorrow’ every day. We champion our employee strengths, guide their development, and invest in their long-term success. We hire optimistic, results-oriented, curious, innovative, and adaptable people with the desire to help our clients and one another succeed.
As a company, we were established by Chuck over 40 years ago to champion Main Street over Wall Street, and to help Americans transform themselves from earners to owners. Through advocacy and innovation, we work to make investing more affordable, accessible and understandable for all. As we enter our fifth decade, we are looking for talented, innovative and driven people who believe they can help themselves, and our clients, create a better future.
This is a senior level Scrum Master role on our Offer/Order (O2) Technology team. The O2 organization is made up of several Agile software development teams that deliver technology solutions for our customer preferences, offers and orders. Our technology is a key foundation for internal system integration and our front end customer capabilities. This technology leadership role is involved with the design and development of our new Offer/Order platform – Express. This state-of-the art implementation will be part of the next generation of application modernization within Schwab – it is an exciting time to join our team and be part of this new system development.
The Scrum Master has a hands-on role in managing the Scrum process within software development teams. They help their teams adopt and improve on the Scrum methodology. They coach their teams to higher levels of maturity by continually improving their process, and ensuring that they adhere to the Scrum framework. They lead efforts to get Scrum training for all members of their team (Product Owners, developers, QA, business analysts, managers, stakeholders, etc.) They serve as the Scrum framework authority for their teams and evangelize and educate their teams on, not only the process, but the benefits of following the process.
As a servant-leader, the Scrum Master leads dedicated teams to deliver business value through their development and delivery execution. He/she works with Product Owners to ensure the appropriate development and delivery of the prioritized backlog. Scrum Masters have above average communication and facilitation skills, are well organized, and exhibit above average follow-up and follow-through skills. They facilitate discussion, decision making and conflict resolution. They evangelize, demonstrate, and live the Agile values and principles as stated in the Agile Manifesto.
- Be a servant leader: You receive as much satisfaction from facilitating others’ success as your own.
- Remove impediments: You do everything in your power to remove obstacles that are preventing the team from accomplishing its Sprint goals.
- Radiate information: You make sure that all information needed to ensure the team’s progress and successes are highly visible to all stakeholders, including the team itself (e.g. backlogs, burndown/up charts, etc.)
- Support the Product Owner: You work to assist the Product Owner, through communicating updates and removing impediments, assisting with backlog and release plan maintenance, etc.
- Facilitate creativity and empowerment for the development team: You foster an environment where creativity and empowerment can flourish.
- Improve the team’s engineering practices and tools as needed: You make sure teams have the tools and know-how they need to succeed.
- Communicate, communicate, communicate. You ensure that everyone—the Product Owner, the team, and various other stakeholders—are always up-to-speed.
What you’ll do:
- Act as a Scrum Master for up to 3 Agile teams simultaneously.
- Provide leadership, direction and coaching to the team by encouraging them to adopt and mature good Scrum processes according to the Scrum Guide.
- Create an environment whereby the team is motivated, self-organizing and self-sufficient.
- Organize and facilitate effective Scrum meetings: backlog grooming, Sprint planning, daily Scrum, Sprint review, and Sprint retrospective.
- Encourage your teams to routinely inspect and adapt.
- Assist the team in establishing a consistent and predictable team level cadence (predictable velocity)
- Identify and facilitate the removal of team impediments and escalate as appropriate.
- Work with and coach Product Owners to develop, manage, and continuously groom the team’s product backlog.
- In partnership with the Product Owner, track and communicate to Stakeholders information such as team velocity, Sprint/release progress, impediments, team successes, etc.
- In coordination with Project Managers, facilitate cross-team coordination and collaboration when projects require it.
- Assist Product Owners and Project Managers with planning and grooming activities.
What you have:
- Servant Leadership – Able to garner respect from your teams, lead and demonstrate value-add principles, and willing and able to get your hands dirty to get the job done.
- Communicative and social skills – Able to communicate well with your Teams.
- Enthusiasm and high-energy.
- Continual improvement - Constantly learning new tools and techniques to grow your craft, yourself, and your Teams.
- Attitude of transparency – Desire and ability to bring disclosure and transparency to the business about development and grow trust between the business and development.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering or related field, or related experience.
- Fully educated and conversant on the Scrum process according to the Scrum Guide.
- A thorough understanding and appreciation for the Agile values and principles.
- Thorough understanding of:Scrum Master Certification.
- Backlog grooming and relative estimating
- Release planning
- Sprint planning
- Scrum metrics such as Sprint burndown, release burnup, & velocity, to name a few
- Sprint review best practices and techniques
- A variety of retrospective techniques
- 5+ years of experience in a software development environment preferably involving cross-team dependencies.
- 3+ years of experience owning and managing customer expectations, project schedules, status and reporting and change management.
- 3-5 years of experience as a Scrum Master.
- Experience with 1 additional methodology besides Scrum.
- Experience with 1 or more scaled Agile frameworks (SAFe, LeSS, DAD, Nexus).
- Have led teams in a large, complex enterprise environment where successful projects potentially involve more than 1 Scrum team.
- Have led a team to mature their adoption of the Scrum process and can articulate the value in doing so.
- Ability to apply a wide variety of patterns and techniques to enable the team to achieve success
- Knowledge of project management fundamentals.
- Conflict resolution: Able to facilitate discussion of issues and different approaches and alternatives, and effectively resolve issues in a timely manner.
- Facilitate: Able to lead and demonstrate value-add principles to a team.
- Assertive: Able to ensure Agile and Scrum concepts and principles are adhered to, be a voice of reason and authority, and make the tough calls.
- Situationally aware: Be the first to notice differences and issues as they arise and elevate them as appropriate.
- Attitude of empowerment: Able to lead a team to self-organization.
- Strong grasp of software development and technology.
- Have acted as a traditional project and/or program manager in the past.
- DevOps experience: continuous integration, continuous build, continuous delivery tools and techniques.
- ATDD, BDD, TDD, and pair programming, and other eXtreme Programming (XP) practices
- Lean Agile development concepts
- Prior experience using Jira
- Experience working in a highly regulated environment
- Experience working in a financial services organization
What you’ll get:
- Comprehensive Compensation and Benefits package
- Financial Health: 401k Match, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, Employee Discounts, Personalized advice, Brokerage discounts
- Work/Life Balance: Sabbatical, Paid Parental Leave, New Mothers returning to work Program, Tuition Reimbursement Programs, Time off to volunteer, Employee Matching Gifts Program
- Everyday Wellness: Health and Lifestyle Wellness Rewards, Onsite Fitness Classes, Healthy Food Choices, Wellness Champions
- Inclusion: Employee Resource Groups, Commitment to diversity, Strategic partnerships
- Not just a job, but a career, with an opportunity to do the best work of your life
Learn more about Life@Schwab.
Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversifying its workforce. It is Schwab's policy to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, legally protected medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, military status, citizenship status or any other status that is protected by law.
||English - spoken
|Current Licenses / Certifications:
|Relevant Work Experience:
||IT-Management/Technical Project Mgmt-6+ yrs
|Position Located In:
||TX - Westlake
Activation Date: Wednesday, September 6, 2017
Expiration Date: Thursday, December 7, 2017