Austin - TX, AUSTIND, 12301 Research Blvd, 78759
We believe that, when done right, investing liberates people to create their own destiny. We are driven by our purpose to champion every client’s goals with passion and integrity. We respect and appreciate the diversity of our employees, our clients, and the communities we serve. We challenge conventions strategically to create value for our clients, our firm and the world. We live and bring to life the concept of ‘own your tomorrow’ every day. We champion our employee strengths, guide their development, and invest in their long-term success. We hire optimistic, results-oriented, curious, innovative, and adaptable people with the desire to help our clients and one another succeed.
As a company, we were established by Chuck over 40 years ago to champion Main Street over Wall Street, and to help Americans transform themselves from earners to owners. Through advocacy and innovation, we work to make investing more affordable, accessible and understandable for all. As we enter our fifth decade, we are looking for talented, innovative and driven people who believe they can help themselves, and our clients, create a better future.
The Principal Architect will be responsible for defining an architecture practice within the CTS organization, evaluating technologies, defining standards, designing solution and reference architectures at the application and domain architecture levels. The candidate will be responsible for providing guidance to business stakeholders, architects and software development teams. The candidate will also serve as the primary interface into the Enterprise Architecture function within the office of the CTO.
The candidate that serves in this role must act as a lead, mentor, advisor and consultant, driving consistency in architectural approach, software development methods and practices, and ensuring that business requirements and problems are well documented and understood.
Candidates must be able to present to a wide-array of audiences, including executive committee members, senior management and staff. Must be able to translate highly complex technology concepts to a varied audience and connect those concepts to real business problems.
What you’ll do:
- Serve as the expert within the CTS organization for: architecture, design, software development & technology strategic planning.
- Consistently seeks to expand their own knowledge and the knowledge of their technology peers and project teams. Demonstrated willingness and ability to share knowledge and information.
- Design and create the architecture practice within the larger CTS organization, creating a true community of practice, and serve as mentor and role model for architects and aspiring architects in the organization.
- Advise and support the SVP and other CTS leaders on architecture practices and processes at the STS and CTS levels of the organization.
- Provide leadership and oversight of architecture practices and processes at the STS and CTS levels of the organization.
- Identify opportunities for both incremental and transformational improvements to engineering productivity (software deployment, designing, writing and testing production code, creating unit and automated regression tests, etc.) and advocating and implementing solutions.
- Build depth in assessing the “horizontal” impact of technology and architectural decisions across domains and systems to improve decision making and outcomes.
- Analyze current information technology environment to detect critical deficiencies and recommend solutions for improvement.
- Stay up to date with technologies, but also understand key concepts of high-scale, transaction-based mainframe platforms.
- Analyze emerging industry and market trends in the field of software engineering of world class online systems and determine potential impact upon the enterprise.
- Provide the business with plans and alternatives to meet business objectives through first and third party software solutions – perform buy vs. build analysis.
- Be accountable for the principles to guide technology decisions for the enterprise that manifest in sound and complete architecture concepts and assure consistent platform and user experience across all product deliverables.
- Build and maintain close working relationship with other architects and architecture functions such as Enterprise Architecture and Principals serving in other parts of the STS organization.
- Oversee the evaluation and selection of technology products in accordance with established STS standards.
- Document all technical architecture design and analysis work.
What you have:
- Bachelor’s degree in CS, MIS or engineering, or combination of a bachelor’s degree in another field with deep, hands-on technical experience; Master’s degree preferred.
- Significant experience of approximately 15 years in software engineering, product development, Dev-Ops/Tech-Ops, with at least 5 years in technology architecture at the application, systems, domain or enterprise level of scope, preferably in a high-transaction, services-oriented, global business.
- The successful candidate will be a highly intelligent, self-confident leader. He/she will bring a proven track record of success in a collaborative and participatory management style; and possess the ability to work closely with the professional and support staff as well as vendors and partners.
- Extensive and current experience and knowledge in design and application of software and information systems design patterns and best practices for large scale web based products especially in the area of eCommerce, Banking and Payments, Financial Services or Health Care.
- Experience in designing or redesigning architecture and related processes in a very complex environment that is constantly evolving; applying best practices which produce enhanced operating results.
- Knowledge of software development and project management processes, application lifecycle management tools, continuous integration and DevOps
- Experience with integrating application components across technology stacks and platforms.
- Commitment to and interest in code and product quality through efficiency and excellence in process and automation
- Ability to use independent judgment in performing all duties of the position.
- Must be a strategic thinker who can see the big picture, balance short and long term objectives, and interpret business strategy and multi-year product and technology plans.
- Analytical, complex thinker comfortable with ambiguity, with the ability to quickly gain an in-depth knowledge of the firm.
- An influencer – one who leads and empowers people, creates followership, removes roadblocks and acts as an advocate for their team. Facilitates change management – continuously improving outcomes.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- An iterative / complex thinker, informal and high-influence leadership style,
- Prefer some experience in high-transaction mainframe environment with deeper knowledge of distributed systems, SaaS/Cloud, IaaS and PaaS technologies.
What you’ll get:
- Comprehensive Compensation and Benefits package.
- Financial Health: 401k Match, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, Employee Discounts, Personalized advice, Brokerage discounts.
- Work/Life Balance: Sabbatical, Paid Parental Leave, New Mothers returning to work Program, Tuition Reimbursement Programs, Time off to volunteer, Employee Matching Gifts Program.
- Everyday Wellness: Health and Lifestyle Wellness Rewards, Onsite Fitness Classes, Healthy Food Choices, Wellness Champions.
- Inclusion: Employee Resource Groups, Commitment to diversity, Strategic partnerships.
- Not just a job, but a career, with an opportunity to do the best work of your life.
Learn more about Life@Schwab.
Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to diversifying its workforce. All applications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status (disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans), or based on any individual’s status in any group or class protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
||English - spoken
|Current Licenses / Certifications:
|Relevant Work Experience:
||IT-Other Specialty Engineering-6+ yrs
|Position Located In:
||TX - Austin, TX - Westlake
Activation Date: Wednesday, July 12, 2017
Expiration Date: Friday, October 13, 2017