Lone Tree - CO, DENR2, 9800 Schwab Way, 80124
We believe that, when done right, investing liberates people to create their own destiny. We are driven by our purpose to champion every client’s goals with passion and integrity. We respect and appreciate the diversity of our employees, our clients, and the communities we serve. We challenge conventions strategically to create value for our clients, our firm and the world. We live and bring to life the concept of ‘own your tomorrow’ every day. We champion our employee strengths, guide their development, and invest in their long-term success. We hire optimistic, results-oriented, curious, innovative, and adaptable people with the desire to help our clients and one another succeed.
As a company, we were established by Chuck over 40 years ago to champion Main Street over Wall Street, and to help Americans transform themselves from earners to owners. Through advocacy and innovation, we work to make investing more affordable, accessible and understandable for all. As we enter our fifth decade, we are looking for talented, innovative and driven people who believe they can help themselves, and our clients, create a better future.
Schwab Charitable is an independent public charity created to increase charitable giving in the United States by offering the flexible giving solution of a donor-advised fund account. A donor-advised fund account is a simple, flexible, tax-smart investment account designed specifically for charitable purposes that offers clients and advisors a simple and streamlined way to contribute, invest and grant effectively. We are a leading national donor-advised fund provider—having granted out to over 110,000 charities nationwide since inception on behalf of our donors.
At Schwab Charitable, we believe people have an inherent desire to give and that investing and giving when done together can empower us to make a real difference in the world. We make it easy to integrate charitable giving into clients’ financial planning and wealth management conversations. We believe that if our clients apply the same thoughtful strategy to their giving and philanthropy they apply to their finances and investments, they will be happier and more fulfilled donors. With our uniquely integrated approach, our simple and tax-smart giving solution, our access to online resources and our team of charitable specialists, we offer the tools, guidance and relationships to help donors give more to the charities that matter most to them.
Schwab Charitable was founded by Charles Schwab & Co. and while it operates as an independent charity, it is closely affiliated with and enjoys the support of Charles Schwab & Co, including contractual agreements to provide a variety of services. This position will be an employee of Charles Schwab & Co. and will be subject to its human resources and risk policies and procedures, but will report to and be accountable to Schwab Charitable for day-to-day activities.
What you’ll do:
Organizational Risk Management effectively identifies, measures and manages risk across Schwab Charitable consistent with its charitable mission and strategy. We are responsible for the design and implementation of the organization-wide risk management and regulatory compliance program. We identify current and emerging risk and compliance concerns and design and implement robust and well-controlled business processes which mitigate risk and/or ensure compliance. We are responsible for updating and monitoring compliance with Schwab Charitable’s Plan of Controls, performing regular internal reviews and monitoring outstanding remediation action plans.
We seek a highly motivated individual with strong risk, regulatory compliance and audit or quality control background; a successful record of designing effective controls and efficient operational systems and processes and compliance programs that are value-added to operations; with the ability to assess complex regulatory and business risk and to execute, measure and monitor risk mitigation programs. This successful candidate possesses strong analytic and organizational skills, excellent written and verbal communication skills and a passion for teamwork and customer service.
The position is an individual contributor role that reports to the Managing Director - Organizational Risk Management.
Responsibilities: Assist with the Risk and Control Self-Assessment process for Schwab Charitable. Conduct research related to risk framework, compliance standards, and industry practices as assigned by the Managing Director – Organizational Risk Management and the presentation of results in an actionable format.
- Become proficient on DAF regulatory framework and support Managing Director - Organizational Risk Management with common risk escalations.
- Identify proactive solutions for recurring issues/escalations – including designing a framework for assessing nature and magnitude of risk and identifying stakeholders and ripple effects (other regulatory concerns, not initially evident) and tracking to ensure satisfactory resolution and to minimize risk of recurrence.
- Assist with the creation of stakeholder training and/or support as deemed necessary to drive awareness and understanding of organizational risk and compliance.
- Creation of status reports on risk initiatives and assist in creation of top quality PowerPoint presentations for delivery to internal executives.
- Coordinate processes to effectively document and monitor risk decisions, and governance and maintenance of key risk policies. Recommend and ensure implementation of risk-based updates to policies and support ongoing policy administration.
- Assist in proactively monitoring the industry and regulatory environment to identify best practices and trends which may impact Schwab Charitable’s compliance or risk environment.
- Recommend process and/or risk oversight changes to the Managing Director – Organizational Risk Management as appropriate.
- Support the implementation of a to-be-designed risk-based internal review program, identifying and monitoring all key processes for emerging risk and compliance with our policies.
- Conduct reviews, recommend improvements, report up through management and follow up to ensure completion of action items arising from reviews.
- Develop strong, positive working relationships with Schwab Charitable colleagues and with other risk, compliance and control functions and business units. Foster a learning environment where department and business partners are encouraged to improve efficiencies and controls.
- Other projects as assigned by the Managing Director - Organizational Risk Management.
What you have:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in financial services industry, donor-advised fund or foundation
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in risk and/or compliance management
- Prior experience assessing complex regulatory and business risk and to execute, measure and monitor risk mitigation programs
- Prior experience/exposure to reading and interpreting regulations and make effective use of in-house counsel
- Strong PC skills, including proficiency in MS Office, Excel, presentation and database
- Demonstrated ability to implement and audit effective risk management and compliance programs, including designing effective controls and efficient operational systems and processeses
- Strong knowledge of risk management principles, methodologies and tools, governance principles and regulations in a financial services environment.
- Previous experience with a donor advised fund or foundation
- Master’s degree or professional certification in related field preferred
- Advanced experience with MS Excel functions, modeling, creating business process flows and/or key risk metrics, strongly preferred
- Schwab proprietary systems knowledge preferred, such as SWISS, Ops Central, etc preferred
- Solid understanding of donor-advised fund, RIA, SEC, banking and broker/dealer regulatory environments and ability to apply to Schwab Charitable’s unique situation preferred
- Highly organized; able to manage multiple processes effectively. Demonstrated strength in planning and execution of multiple projects
- Commitment to excellence, customer service, collaboration and teamwork
- Excellent oral, written and presentation skills, including ability to communicate effectively with senior management and peers and outside parties
- Demonstrated ability to work well across the Schwab organization, building strong relationships that support Schwab Charitable’s mission a plus
- Critical thinker with ability to anticipate impact and react effectively to changes in regulatory and business climate. Strong ability to analyze, research and resolve problems
- Ability and willingness to take on a role that ranges from learning operational roles and processes, to understanding and applying complex regulations; from drafting policies to reviewing procedures; from conducting operational audits to delivering conceptual presentations to senior executives.
What you’ll get:
- Comprehensive Compensation and Benefits package
- Financial Health: 401k Match, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, Employee Discounts, Personalized advice, Brokerage discounts
- Work/Life Balance: Sabbatical, Paid Parental Leave, New Mothers returning to work Program, Tuition Reimbursement Programs, Time off to volunteer, Employee Matching Gifts Program
- Everyday Wellness: Health and Lifestyle Wellness Rewards, Onsite Fitness Classes, Healthy Food Choices, Wellness Champions
- Inclusion: Employee Resource Groups, Commitment to diversity, Strategic partnerships
- Not just a job, but a career, with an opportunity to do the best work of your life
Learn more about Life@Schwab.
Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversifying its workforce. It is Schwab's policy to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, legally protected medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, military status, citizenship status or any other status that is protected by law.
||English - spoken
|Current Licenses / Certifications:
|Relevant Work Experience:
||Financial Services-6+ yrs, Accounting and Finance-6+ yrs, Financial Services-2-5 yrs, Regulatory, Risk Analysis
|Position Located In:
||CO - Lone Tree
Activation Date: Tuesday, July 11, 2017
Expiration Date: Wednesday, August 9, 2017