Chicago - IL, IL150SW, 150 S Wacker Dr, 60606-4111
We believe that, when done right, investing liberates people to create their own destiny. We are driven by our purpose to champion every client’s goals with passion and integrity. We respect and appreciate the diversity of our employees, our clients, and the communities we serve. We challenge conventions strategically to create value for our clients, our firm and the world. We live and bring to life the concept of ‘own your tomorrow’ every day. We champion our employee strengths, guide their development, and invest in their long-term success. We hire optimistic, results-oriented, curious, innovative, and adaptable people with the desire to help our clients and one another succeed.
As a company, we were established by Chuck over 40 years ago to champion Main Street over Wall Street, and to help Americans transform themselves from earners to owners. Through advocacy and innovation, we work to make investing more affordable, accessible and understandable for all. As we enter our fifth decade, we are looking for talented, innovative and driven people who believe they can help themselves, and our clients, create a better future.
We are recruiting for a newly-created, mission-critical Director, Senior Corporate Trust Counsel, with demonstrated knowledge in the trust and financial services industry capable of assisting with the growth and operation of the varied businesses of several Schwab trust affiliates. Charles Schwab Trust Company of Delaware serves as administrative trustee for trusts whose investments are independently managed by third party independent investment advisory firms. The Charles Schwab Trust Company is a newly formed and rapidly growing Nevada trust company that provides a full service trust offering providing for administration and investment of trust assets that supports and compliments our broader retail branch network and Investor Services organization.
What you’ll do:
You will provide legal support to the day to day business activities of Charles Schwab Trust Company and Charles Schwab Trust Company of Delaware. This will include:
- Providing trust and estate expertise on trust, estate, tax and fiduciary issues affecting new and existing trust relationships.
- Providing day-to-day guidance to trust officers and administrators on acceptance and ongoing administration of trust relationships.
- Reviewing trust documents and preparing appointment, acceptance and resignation paperwork for trust relationships.
- Working with Trust Administration to provide legal interpretations of trust documents and respond to questions from Trust grantors or beneficiaries.
- Attending presentations to prospective clients.
- Assisting with managing litigation and threatened litigation or complaints, including managing outside counsel.
- Partnering with Schwab’s broader legal, compliance, risk and audit groups.
- Conducting research and participating in industry association meetings to keep abreast of relevant legal and regulatory developments.
What you have:
• JD degree from an accredited law school.
• Admitted to the Bar in at least one U.S. jurisdiction.
• 5 plus years of professional experience as a practicing attorney in a law firm specializing in estate and trust matters or in-house experience with a bank, trust company or wealth management firm supporting a personal trust or wealth management business.
- Thorough knowledge of Estate Planning and Trust Administration including a high level knowledge of all Federal and State tax implications as necessary to support a multistate trust business;
- Drafting and document review skills for Trusts and related Estate Planning documentation;
- Solid research skills and the ability to formulate solid legal advice and strategies related to the establishment and administration of trust relationships under the law of any state as necessary to support a multistate trust business;
- The ability to recognize and mitigate legal risks related to the onboarding and administration of trust relationships administered by the Charles Schwab Trust Company;
- Familiarity with Delaware Trust law relating to the establishment and administration of directed trust relationships is a plus;
- Knowledge of State and Federal bank regulatory requirements applicable to corporate trustees and the operation of a personal trust business is a plus;
- Experience or a general familiarity with the business operations of a broker/dealer is a plus;
- Strong organizational and communications skills; and
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to interact with all levels of staff including senior management as well as trust grantors and beneficiaries and their legal representatives.
What you’ll get:
- Everyday Wellness: Healthy Rewards, Onsite Fitness Classes, Healthy Choices, Wellness Champions
- Financial Fitness: 401k Match, Employee Discounts, Personalized advice, Brokerage discounts
- Work/Life Balance: Sabbatical, New Mothers returning to work Program, Tuition Reimbursement Programs, Time off to volunteer
- Inclusion: Employee Resource Groups, Commitment to diversity, Strategic partnerships
- Not just a job, but a career, with an opportunity to do the best work of your life.
Learn more about Life@Schwab.
Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversifying its workforce. It is Schwab's policy to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, legally protected medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, military status, citizenship status or any other status that is protected by law.
||English - spoken
|Current Licenses / Certifications:
|Relevant Work Experience:
||Financial Services-6+ yrs, Legal-6+ yrs, Legal-2-5 yrs, Financial Services-2-5 yrs, Banking-6+ yrs, Banking-2-5 yrs
|Position Located In:
||IL - Chicago
Activation Date: Monday, March 27, 2017
Expiration Date: Saturday, July 1, 2017